Supplies and tools needed:
- 1 - 20 oz pop or water bottle
- 1 - 6 inch piece of duct tape
- 12 paper drinking straws
- 1 - 12 inch piece of heavy twine
DIY Mason Bee House
- Carefully cut off the top, angled part of the bottle leaving being a cylinder like seen above. CAREFUL...the cut plastic edge is sharp!
- Wrap the piece of duct tape around the cut edge of the bottle, so half the tape length covers the bottle, and the other half is hanging over. Wrap the free half of the tape around the cut edge and into the bottle.
- Poke a small hole on the bottom of the bottle near the outside edge.
- Run the twine through the small hole and the bottle. Tie both ends in a knot to make a complete loop.
- Cut all the paper straws in half, so you have 24 half pieces.
- Start inserting the straws into the cylinder, gently as not to crush the straws. Completely fill your bottle tightly enough so the straws and twigs don’t fall out but try not to crush any straws.
Hang your bee house outside somewhere it is protected from the wind and rain, but the bees can still find it. Good places are under the edge of a deck or under the eves of a house or shed. You will know the bees are using it if you see the straws start to get plugged up.